Vegetation regulates terrestrial water, carbon, and energy cycles at local to global scales as it responds and adapts to changing environmental conditions, driven by natural dynamics and human intervention.
Characterizing interactions between hydrology, climate, and primary
production, which are regulated by vegetation within a day as
well as over decades, is critical to manage water, food, and energy
for ever growing demands in a changing environment.
Diagnose vegetation water-carbon tradeoffs and response to stress, encoded in observations from plant to satellite scales.
Quantify key ecohydrological parameters and eco-evolutionary optimality principles that enhance our understanding of complex environmental systems.
Provide accurate and tractable criteria for sustainable climate risk reduction by combining data-driven and process-based methods.
Questions adressed in on-going projects include:
When do plants reduce growth to conserve water and how do plant water use strategies interact with hydrology and climate variability?
How much ecohydrological information can be extracted from
remotely-sensed observations and how useful are these data for managing natural resources?
What level of model complexity provides adequate predictive and causal information
about ecosystem-scale water and carbon fluxes?
- M Bassiouni and G Vico (2021), Parsimony versus predictive and functional performance of three stomatal optimization principles in a big-leaf framework. New Phytologist, 231 (2), 586-600. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.17392
- MA Scholl, M Bassiouni, and AJ Torres-Sanchez (2021), Drought stress and hurricane defoliation influence mountain clouds and moisture recycling in a tropical forest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118 (7). https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2021646118
- M Wu, G Vico, S Manzoni, Z Cai, M Bassiouni, F Tian, J Zhang, K Ye, and G Messori (2021), Early growing season anomalies in vegetation activity determine the large-scale climate-vegetation coupling in Europe. Journal of Geophysical Research Biogeosciences, 126 (5). https://doi.org/10.1029/2020JG006167
- Z Su, Y Zeng, N Romano, S Manfreda, F Francés, E Ben Dor, B Szabó, G Vico, P Nasta, R Zhuang, N Francos, J Mészáros, SF Dal Sasso, M Bassiouni, L Zhang, DT Rwasoka, B Retsios, L Yu, ML Blatchford, C Mannaerts (2020), An Integrative Information Aqueduct to Close the Gaps between Satellite Observation of Water Cycle and Local Sustainable Management of Water Resources. Water, 12 (5), 1495. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12051495
- M Bassiouni, SP Good, CJ Still, and CW Higgins (2020), Plant water uptake thresholds inferred from satellite soil moisture. Geophysical Research Letters, 47 (7). https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL087077
- M Bassiouni, CW Higgins, CJ Still, and SP Good (2018), Probabilistic inference of ecohydrological parameters using observations from point to satellite scales. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 22 (6), 3229-3243. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-3229-2018
- M Bassiouni, MA Scholl, AJ Torres-Sanchez, and SF Murphy (2017), A method for quantifying cloud immersion in a tropical mountain forest using time-lapse photography. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 243, 100-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2017.04.010
- M Bassiouni, RM Vogel, and SA Archfield (2016), Panel regressions to estimate low-flow response to rainfall variability in ungaged basins. Water Resources Research, 52 (12), 9470-9494. https://doi.org/10.1002/2016WR018718
- SK Izuka, JA Engott, K Rotzoll, M Bassiouni, AG Johnson, LD Miller, and A Mair (ver 1.0 2016; ver. 2.0, 2018), Volcanic aquifers of Hawai ‘i—Hydrogeology, water budgets, and conceptual models: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2015-5164, 158 p. https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20155164.
- JA Engott, AG Johnson, M Bassiouni, SK Izuka, and K Rotzoll (ver. 1.0 2015; ver. 2.0, 2017), Spatially distributed groundwater recharge for 2010 land cover estimated using a water-budget model for the island of O'ahu, Hawaii: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2015–5010, 49 p. https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20155010.
- AG Johnson, JA Engott, M Bassiouni, and K Rotzoll (ver 1.0 2014; ver. 2.0, 2018), Spatially distributed groundwater recharge estimated using a water-budget model for the island of Maui, Hawai‘i, 1978–2007: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2014–5168, 53 p. https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20145168.
- M Bassiouni and DS Oki (2013), Trends and shifts in streamflow in Hawai‘i, 1913–2008. Hydrological Processes, 27 (10), 1484-1500. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.9298.
Publications in progress
AE Goodwell and M Bassiouni (in revision), Source relationships and model structures determine information flow paths in ecohydrologic models.
M Bassiouni, S Manzoni, and G Vico (under review), Optimal plant water use strategies explain soil moisture variability.
L Hawkins, M Bassiouni, WRL Anderegg, MD Venturas, SP Good, H Kwon, C Hanson, R Fiorella, GJ Bowen, and CJ Still (under review), Comparing Model Representations of Physiological Limits on Transpiration at a Semi-arid Ponderosa Pine Site. https://doi.org/10.1002/essoar.10510324.1
R Loritz, M Bassiouni, A Hildebrandt, SK Hassler, and E Zehe (under review), Leveraging sap flow data in a catchment-scale hybrid model to improve soil moisture and transpiration estimates. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-2022-62
DR URycki, M Bassiouni, SP Good, BC Crump, and B Li (under review), The Streamwater Microbiome Encodes Hydrologic Data across Scales.
Code | github.com/maoyab
OWUS: Inference of optimal plant water use strategies (2021, Python Code),
DESOM: Diagnostics of ecosystem-scale stomatal optimization models (2021, Python Code), https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4386353
Data management for global PIEP (2020, Python Code), https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3235820
PIEP: Probabilistic inference of ecohydrological parameters from soil moisture observations (2018, Python Code), https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1257718
Clustering of time-lapsed photographs to develop a 30-min time series of forest cloud immersion (2017, Python Code), upon request.
Temperature, relative humidity and cloud immersion data for Luquillo Mountains, eastern Puerto Rico, 2014-2019 (2021, USGS Data Release),
Global dataset of ecohydrological parameters inferred from satellite observations (2020, Dataset),
Mean annual water-budget components for the Hawaiian Islands (2018, ver. 2.0, multiple USGS Data Releases) see full list of water availability products
Supplementary data for "method for quantifying cloud immersion in a tropical mountain forest using time-lapse photography" (2017, USGS Data Release), http://dx.doi.org/10.5066/F7HQ3X52
Summary drainage basin and low-flow characteristics in gaged Hawaii streams and summary rainfall projections for the late 21st century and associated changes in low flows and usable habitat for native stream fauna in gaged and ungaged Maui, HI streams (2016, USGS Data Release), http://dx.doi.org/10.5066/F7TH8JV3
2019 PhD Water Resources Engineering
Oregon State University (OSU)
2012 MSc Environmental Sciences and Engineering
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
2008 BSc Environmental Sciences and Engineering
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
BEE 599: Environmental Transport and Mixing (2017, 2019)
BEE 599: Dimensional Analysis and Scaling (2018)
Guest lectures (2016-2019)
BEE 361: Ecological Engineering Laboratory
BEE 322: Ecological Engineering Thermodynamics and Transfer Process
BEE 313: Ecohydrology
BEE 311: Ecological Fluid Dynamics
Current Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
ESPM, UC Berkeley, CA, USA
2019-21 Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Crop Produciton Ecology
VPE, SLU, Uppsala, SE
2015-19 Graduate Research Fellow
Department of Biological and Ecological Engineering
BEE, OSU, Corvallis, OR, USA
2016 USGS National Research Program Intern
Institute for Water and Watersheds
OSU, Corvallis, OR, USA
2009-10 Pacific Islands Water Science Center
PIWSC, USGS, Honolulu, HI, USA
2012 Master Research Student
Laboratory of Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Hydrology
EFLUM, EPFL, Lausanne, CH
2010 Environmental Engineer Intern
Department of Sanitation, Water and Solid Waste for Development
SANDEC, EAWAG, Dakar, Senegal
2008-09 Project Assistant
ProAct Network NGO